Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I love Tomato Chicken

You know what's a wonderful feeling? It's going to kung fu, getting a new gi, and realizing you get to drop a size. That has been a long time coming and I'm so excited!! What a way to start the second month of Operation: Get Steenie Healthy. Now, don't get me wrong, the new gi is pretty snug and a little uncomfortable. But, isn't that the way it should be? What bigger motivation is there then fitting comfortably in your clothes?

So, I've shared a sample daily meal log with friends and figured I should post one here, too. I hope this helps you understand the work put into creating a healthy meal plan. Of course, it helps to have a wonderful husband who loves to do the cooking and is great at creating food masterpieces. Anyway, here is how one of my favorite meal plans goes...

Breakfast: 6 ounces Greek Yogurt - 143 cal, 0 fat, 14 protein, 20 carbs, 68 sodium
                  1 piece wheat toast w/butter spray - 45 cal, 0 fat, 3 protein, 8 carbs, 90 sodium
                  TOTAL -- 188 cal, 0 fat, 17 protein, 28 carbs, 158 sodium
Snack: 1 piece ww toast w/peanut butter - 195 cal, 10 fat, 8 protein, 24 carbs, 148 sodium
Lunch: Turkey Sandwich on wheat bread - 192 cal, 4 fat, 15 protein, 34 carbs, 686 sodium
             carrots - 27 cal, 0 fat, 1 protein, 6 carbs, 30 sodium
             TOTAL -- 219 cal, 4 fat, 16 protein, 40 carbs, 716 sodium
Snack: Red apple with 2 tbsp peanut butter - 262 cal, 16 fat, 8 protein, 6 carb, 65 sodium
Dinner: Tomato Chicken (my favorite!!) - 184 cal, 2 fat, 27 protein, 13 carbs, 81 sodium
              Steamed Green Beans - 38 cal, 0 fat, 2 protein, 8 carbs, 2 sodium
             1 small red potato, baked chipped - 110 cal, 0 fat, 3 protein, 26 carbs, 0 sodium
             TOTAL - 332 cal, 2 fat, 32 protein, 47 carbs, 83 sodium
Snack: Sugar Free Popsicle - 15 cal, 0 fat, 0 protein, 4 carbs, 0 sodium
DAILY TOTAL --  1211 cal, 32 fat, 81 protein, 149 carbs, 1170 sodium

Now, some people need to eat more calories and some days I have closer to 1500 calories. It depends on what I choose to eat each day, but I try to stay under 1800 no matter what I chose. I also watch my fat and try to keep it under 39g a day. This week, I'm watching my carbs (probably the hardest thing yet) and my sodium. Sodium adds up quickly so try to stay under 2300 per day.

Along with the dieting comes exercise. I know we all lead busy lives, but try to get out there and at least walk. Everything burns calories!! Well, except doing nothing. I found some great information at www.webmd.com  about fitness. Also, they have a great calorie counter and exercise counter. Check it out! The internet can be such a wonderful aid. It's helped me learn about the nutritional values in foods, helped me come up with meal plans, and just helped motivate me.

Well, this is all of the advice and info I have today. I told you, it's hard work and an ongoing process. I'm still trying to come up with great lunch meals. I struggle with the carbs during that time and am just not very creative. Does anyone have any recipes? Please share them as I'm sure we would all love to create some more meals. One more thing....here' s a picture of the delicious meal my husband prepared last night. See, you don't have to eat bland, yucky foods just because you choose to eat healthy!! Doesn't this look yummy?


No comments:

Post a Comment