Monday, October 25, 2010

The Inevitable Plateau

Everyone knows that during dieting, you eventually hit a plateau. This is when you don't lose weight, you get frustrated, and usually you give up. The hardest part of weight loss is fighting through this or so I've been told. I feel like the last five years have been my plateau. I couldn't even start the weight loss journey because my metabolism just didn't want to start up.

So, here I am finally losing weight and all I seem to think about lately is hitting that inevitable plateau. When I got on the scale this week, I was sure that it was going to show no weight loss or even a little weight gain. I obsessed all week about how I wasn't doing my best. I actually did lose 1 1/2 lbs last week so I was still doing something right. But, this week got me thinking....Is the plateau nothing more than us sabotaging ourselves?

Think about it. I'm five weeks into my Operation: Get Steenie Healthy. I'm starting to feel comfortable with picking my meals and knowing what the right foods and amounts are. But, perhaps I'm a little too comfortable. I didn't keep the daily log up like I should. I missed entire days this week. I know I had a few extra snacks this week (though they were healthy snacks). And, I seemed to have a larger appetite, not able to get full. Of course, this all made me feel a little guilty and made me just sure that I was going to hit the plateau. So, really I psyched myself out this week. It was all in my head!

The only good thing is that I really have learned not to be hard on myself. Everyone falls off the health wagon sometimes. It's about getting back on and steering for that goal. Don't worry about the bumps along the way. And, don't stress about that plateau. Just keep going steady and don't get too comfortable. Being too comfortable is why I'm overweight in the first place.

What it boils down to is that self-sabotage isn't healthy so there's no place for it in Operation: Get Steenie Healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment